Friday, February 17, 2017

Week of the mundane (Feb 15th)

Hello!
I am going to apologize in advance that there will be no photos in this post. Best intentions...
Please use your vivid imaginations where needed.

My big accomplishment for the week- I joked I cried 3 rivers. Today would have/is her birthday. In 6 days it will be the 2nd anniversary since she passed. 10 days ago, an adoption was started and 7 days ago the adoption fell through. Everything worked out the way it was supposed to (really & truly), and I might be indulging in a little extra sugar consumption (homemade marshmallows, with a swipe of PB dipped in dark chocolate).

I have been continuing work on my quilt blocks and have 4 done. Each will need to be trimmed down and I established that will be 18”(each). I am thinking 6 blocks will be plenty, spaced with some white (a thrifted bed sheet). This started as a gift for my uncle, but I am getting a bit attached so it will probably replace a quilt for the tv room. Since then I have spied a simpler quilt design for my uncle using fabric I have on hand.

Speaking of gifts, I’d gladly take any suggestions handmade gifts for men and 13 year old twin boys. I think I have already given the best ideas I have.

The dollar and penny challenge – are indeed a challenge. But I am sticking with according to the rules I set. My amusement of it is, I do need to spend something to get the change to actually place into the allotted containers. More than a few times it was a challenge to scour up 36/etc. cents since I really had no need to spend. I am driven to stick with it for commitment sake. Commitment and creativity I think are the 2 staples to live a well rounded frugal life. Maybe that is why frugality fails in my age group.

I visited my pay by the pound treasure trove and found 4 cashmere sweaters. They needed very minimal TLC and for a dollar a piece netted me $24 total. One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. Isn’t that the truth.

Until next time…enjoy this day, and tomorrow and the next.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry, Jen. Won't even say any of those trite things people say in these incidents. Sometimes life just stinks.

    Gifts for men and boys are hard. Maybe you can sew some pj bottoms for the young guys. I usually knit something. Maybe some felted slippers? Got to admit, I'm stumped.

    When I was doing the dollar challenge, I spent $1.75 on ATM fees to get the money to put in the kitty. Sometimes it just doesn't compute. Hope today will be better for you.

    Extra hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane.
    I made the kids pjs years ago, so that isn't a bad idea to revisit.
    I refuse unless an emergency to pay the ATM fees. Buying a few stamps and using my card to get cash back raised an eye brow. Eh, gave them something to talk about.
    Glad the dress worked out.
    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen! I'm sorry too. You are forging ahead on your work I see! My boys would tell you I am bad at boy gifts. Girls are so much easier! Hugs, andrea.

    ReplyDelete