Thursday, March 16, 2017

Week of the mundane (March 16)

Happy 3 days until SPRING! We currently have  a foot of snow, with no warm weather in sight. Thankfully I cut these before the snow. I didn't notice until about last year the sweet smell daffodils have.

I finally finished these!
Add caption
I felt a little bad lifting another artist work with the first pouch - so the other 2 were original designs. I wish I had more pant legs to upcycle. These provided much relaxation while making. My zippers still need work, but I am seeing progress.



A year back, I found a needle point of Beatrix Potter rabbit at the pay by the pound. The yarn wasn’t with it, but I bought it anyway. Since then many trips later, 2 in particular, I found bags of the wool yarn needed to stitch. The colors I am going with are pretty close to what is needed. That is my latest keeping my hands busy/mind off of things evening work. Still working on the quilt, but I notice the more tired I am, the more stitches need ripped.Point of this story - I can be very patient.

homemade rhubarb jam on the bottom

We eat oatmeal mostly for breakfast during the work week. It is easy to make when you’re sleepy. I use it also as a way to get nuts into our diets. This way we get a small healthy portion and it fits in our budget. Our oatmeal consists of a heaping table spoon of jam, a pinch of brown sugar, a pinch of nuts, sprinkle of cinnamon.  If I can get a bite of sugar (jam) in the morning, I don’t seem to crave sweets throughout the day. I wonder if that is scientific???
Short post, I think I wore out my concentration on driving through the snow drifts (the down side of farm country).
Until next time, if you can plant your sugar peas, know that I am envious of you.  



6 comments:

  1. Hi! Well no planting here with the snow and cold temps for the next week or 2! I love hot cereal...whether it is oatmeal, cream of wheat, Malt O'Meal...ec. I had some for lunch yesterday even...hot cereal on a cold day is really nice! I love the idea of rhubarb because when I buy some, (never could successfully grow it) I make it into an sauce (like applesauce), freeze it, and put it in my hot cereal too. I need a daily sweet even if it is just a spoonful of Nutella..ha..Beautiful pouches! Daffodils smell of spring! Hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Yes, hot cereal is one of my favorites too. Malt O'Meal is a customer of ours, the smell of their plant is heavenly. If you ever want to try growing rhubarb again, I have plenty of plants to divide and share. It isn't my favorite, but as a jam, cake or bbq sauce it works for me!
      Thank you for the compliment.
      Hugs, Jen

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen! I actually like the pouch with the feather that is your own design, the best. Rhubarb is a nice Spring-like flavor, perfect for March.

    HUgs

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! That pouch is my favorite too, and I didn't think it would be. It also was the one that made me forget most about time.
      I think you wrote once about giving away asparagus and rhubarb to neighbors. I haven't found a neighbor who likes rhubarb yet :)
      Hugs, Jen

      Delete
  3. We can't plant the snow peas, yet, but I was able to pick a few chives a few days ago, being careful to not kill the bush. I also picked a few Swiss Chard leaves from my wintered-over garden and chopped them into the spaghetti sauce. It is way, way too wet to plant anything.

    So, I'm spending this morning working on an ongoing project--cleaning out and sorting the camper items in preparation for the upcoming camping season. This morning, I did a few shelves in the food cupboard and made cookies from all odds and ends of chocolate chips, M and M's, etc. There is a lot left to do since we lived in the camper all summer last year then were focused on fixing up the house and moving in, so I'm trying to spread it over a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Becky! I knew I forgot to cut something before the snow - chives. I have rainbow chard ready to plant as soon as we can see ground again. I remember keeping you in my thoughts/prayers while you went through that hardship. Your sharing certainly put things in perspective for me. I am glad things worked out - Oregon is such a beautiful state and what you/family have done to get where you are today is inspiring.
    Thank you for stopping by!
    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete